You just put in a hard hour at the gym. You’re sweaty and a little gross, but more than that, you’re proud of the effort you put in.
Now it’s time to call it a day and relax. After all, you’ve earned it! Well, not so fast.
If you’re going directly from the gym to the couch, you could be making some serious errors that negate the gains of your workout or even increase your chances of sustaining an injury.
Your post-workout routine is just as important as how you prepare before a workout.
Here are seven of the worst things to do post workout.
1. Failing To Cool Down
After an hour or more of hard training, the last thing you’ll likely want to do is spend any more time in the gym. But there’s a reason why experts tell you to cool down before going on with your day.
After your workout, your body is under a great deal of stress. Going from 100 to zero in a matter of minutes won’t do your body any favors, despite what you may think.
Take a few minutes to slow your run into a walk or allow yourself a quick breather after lifting to give your body time to adjust. Your body undergoes a ton of changes during a workout and needs time to readjust.
Failing to give yourself a proper cooldown could send your body into shock, or at the very least, result in some sore muscles due to lactic acid buildup.
2. Not Stretching
Admittedly, there’s a great deal of debate surrounding our next topic. Health experts are at odds over whether or not stretching post-workout, has any major effect on your performance at all.
While studies are ongoing, experts agree that if you’re serious about your athleticism or hope to go professional someday, stretching can help you retain muscle elasticity.
Indeed, if you’re looking to run faster or harder, opting into a post-workout stretch can reduce soreness and improve flexibility to make your next workout even better.
3. Grabbing A Sugary Drink
Though sports drinks are often marketed toward those who live an active lifestyle, it’s important to note that it’s just that — marketing.
Gatorade and Powerade are two of the worst offenders. You’ve probably seen the ads or heard the stories about the drink’s invention.
While it did start out as an easy way to replenish lost electrolytes in athletes, today’s sports drinks feature far more sugar than the original recipe, causing dehydrating and decreasing performance.
A 32 oz Gatorade contains 54.4 grams of sugar — more than the FDA’s recommended amount. For reference, that’s more than half the amount of sugar you’ll find in a 32 oz Mountain Dew.
There is some good to sports drinks, however. Though they’re chock full of sugars, most sports beverages contain nitrates, carbohydrates, and electrolytes that replace what we sweat out during a workout.
But, unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good in this case. You’re better off sticking with good old H20 or a post-workout supplement for rehydration and a quick pick-me-up.
4. Going From Gym To Couch
When you return home from your workout, the first thing you probably want to do is plop on the couch and take a nap.
But for the sake of yourself and those around you, it’s best to take a shower beforehand.
Staying dirty gym clothes not only makes you a social pariah, but it can also permeate your furniture and do some serious damage. The oils from your skin can easily soak into the fabrics of your couch or bed, leaving a putrid stench or even staining your furniture.
So please, for the good of yourself, your friends and family, and even your furniture, hit the shower before taking some much-deserved R&R.
5. Eating The Wrong Snacks
A good, healthy snack is a fantastic treat after a workout. What’s more, snacking post-workout is also a fantastic way to replenish lost calories as well as proteins and carbs.
But you are what you eat, so think carefully before you ruin your progress with that slice of pizza.
Instead of negating your progress with a post-workout snack, opt for a healthier, nutritious alternative soon after your workout. Post-workout supplements are a great way to give your body an extra boost, as are protein-based snacks.
Peanut butter, chocolate milk, oatmeal, and chicken or fish are some of the best choices.
Though they’re delicious, avoid sugary or processed snacks like chips or soda. They’re empty calories and won’t do your body any good.
6. Resting On The Equipment
Okay, so this mistake won’t ruin any of your progress, but it will get you a lot of angry side-eye at the gym. Most gyms have at least one person that does this, and if you’ve ever experienced it, you know how annoying it can be.
We’re not talking about taking a quick breather once you’ve done a few reps. That’s normal and even expected.
We’re talking about spending using a piece of equipment like your own personal chair and holding up others’ workouts.
Once you’re finished with a piece of equipment, clean it, set it back to default, and move on. We promise your fellow gym-goers will appreciate it.
7. Using Your Workout As An Excuse
So you’ve done everything right so far and now you get to be a couch potato for the rest of the day. You may even treat yourself to a post-workout pizza!
No harm, no foul, right?
A lot of people falsely believe that because they went to the gym that day, they have free reign to be inactive or eat poorly. Again, you’re only sabotaging your own efforts here.
Hitting the gym on a regular basis is a great way to move toward a healthier lifestyle. But that healthy lifestyle needs to include more than a trip to the gym a few times a week.
Avoid These Post-Workout Fails At All Cost
If you’re guilty of these post-workout mistakes, you’re not alone. Most people commit one or more of these gym-based sins.
We’re not here to chastise or embarrass anyone, but to help you get the most out of your workouts. So take what you’ve learned today and use it better your post-workout rituals.
And be sure to check out our reviews guide to help you choose the best gear and supplements. Whether you’re looking for better gains or want to lose a few pounds, we have the advice that can help.
- BUILD LEAN MUSCLE: As featured in Los Angeles Confidential Magazine, if you're looking for the best post-workout muscle building recovery drink, you've found it! Vintage Build is the essential 3-in-1 natural muscle building supplement. Its unique formula delivers a proven trio of muscle building ingredients in the form of branched chain amino acids (BCAA), creatine, and L-glutamine in a flavored powder that mixes easily and tastes great with water or your favorite protein shake.
- TESTED AND TRUSTED: Third-party tested post workout supplement made exclusively with premium ingredients, including branched chain amino acids (BCAA), creatine monohydrate, and L-glutamine. Suitable for men and women looking for lean muscle building power, not bulk or a weight gainer. Vintage Build is a great supplement to your pre-workout and a healthy diet.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Old School Labs supplements never compromise on quality and always include clear and complete supplement facts without any "proprietary blends." We stand by our products 100%. If you are not completely satisfied with any OSL product, we will help you resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
- BUNDLE AND SAVE TODAY: Get 15% OFF any 3 products with code "BUNDLE3X" or 20% OFF any 5 products with code "BUNDLE5X"
- OSL HERITAGE: Old School Labs, California; Supplements That Make Sense, 40 Years in the Making. Only one thing has ever mattered to OSL: our customers. Before becoming a best-selling national brand with thousands of loyal customers and followers, this was our priority. That will never change. Our team of experts are available by email or social media to answer questions regarding the best way to use a product. Our products are sold on Amazon.com, proudly formulated in California, made in U.S.A.
- POWERFUL RESULTS AND RECOVERY FORMULA: Recover from your workouts faster & make better gains
- CONTAINS PURE CREATINE MONOHYDRATE: The best natural muscle growth supplement you can buy
- BUILD MUSCLE & GAIN STRENGTH FASTER: A true science-based muscle builder and muscle recovery drink
- EASY POST WORKOUT RECOVERY DRINK: All you need is just one serving with your post workout shake
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We hope you love Recharge, but if you don't, you get your money back
- MORE MUSCLE GROWTH: The BCAAs, beta-alanine, creatine HCl and betaine found in Post JYM provide the perfect after-workout cocktail for increasing protein synthesis to maximize muscle building
- GREAT TASTING: Post JYM active matrix is not only effective, but delicious too. With only 45 calories, you'll get a refreshing, tasty drink to sip on after training
- FASTER RECOVERY: Glutamine, taurine and L-carnitine L-tartrate (along with all other ingredients in Post JYM) enhance the repair of broken down muscle tissue, allowing your body to recover faster between workouts so you can hit the gym hard the next day
- COMPLETING THE "SYSTEM": Post JYM is the third piece of the JYM SYSTEM, along with Pre JYM (pre-workout) and Pro JYM (protein blend). With these three products, you're completely covered for all your nutrition and supplement needs around workouts
- FULL TRANSPARENCY: Post JYM includes 8 fully dosed ingredients shown in scientific studies to maximize muscle repair and recovery from intense exercise. As with all JYM products, Post JYM contains NO PROPRIETARY BLENDS and NO ABBREVIATED FORMULAS
- BUILD MUSCLE FAST - Men and women know that building muscle fast requires more than just protein. If you want to get the best results, get them with AfterGlow.10 PRODUCTS IN 1 - This great-tasting shake contains whey protein, BCAA's, EAA's, glutamine, cane juice, anti-inflammation phytonutrients, electrolytes, cortisol reducing ingredients, vitamins, and creatine supplementation.REDUCE SORENESS - Prolonged soreness and fatigue are signs of poor recovery. Supplementing your workout with AfterGlow recovery drink will reduce soreness by giving your body the nutrients it needs to recover fast.FASTER RECOVERY WITH MACRONUTRIENTS - Get the most out of your workout by feeding depleted muscles with a balanced powder macronutrient formula consisting of protein, carbohydrates, and fat.GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE - If you are not satisfied with BioRhythm AfterGlow let us know, we will work out a replacement or a refund.
- Clinically Studied Post Workout Supplement
- Triggers a 360% Increase in Muscle Protein Synthesis
- WaxiMAX-C3G Spikes Insulin and Replenishes Glycogen
- 5g of Cell-Volumizing Multi-Phase Creatine
- Clinically Tested 6g Essential Amino Acid Blend
- LEAN MUSCLE GROWTH. Growth Surge is the ultimate muscle building supplement, containing three key ingredients to support lean muscle growth and fat loss throughout the day. Consume GROWTH SURGE promptly post-workout to jumpstart muscle recovery and optimize the anabolic window.
- POST WORKOUT RECOVERY. You train hard day in and day out, it's crucial to recover and rebuild at maximum levels. GROWTH SURGE helps improve post-workout muscle recovery, muscle building, and reduce muscle soreness. Conquer your next workout feeling refreshed and ready to go with endless endurance and increased strength.
- PREMIUM CREATINE, SCIENTIFICALLY-DOSED FORMULA. Each ingredient in GROWTH SURGE is supported by science and added to provide users with the best workout recovery, lean muscle mass growth, and overall performance. GROWTH SURGE utilizes only premium-grade ingredients in science-backed doses. GROWTH SURGE contains the best form of creatine on the market - Creatine Monohydrate, as well as L Carnitine L Tartrate, Betaine, & Bioperine.
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA IN A STATE-OF-THE-ART CGMP CERTIFIED FACILITY. All of Jacked Factory's products are manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility that is cGMP certified. This guarantees that users are getting nothing but the purest, safest and highest quality supplements on the market. We take our customers' health and results seriously. We will never sacrifice quality.
- 100% MONEY-BACK GUARANTEE. We stand behind GROWTH SURGE Post Workout Drink for Men & Women, and guarantee your satisfaction. If for any reason you don't find that GROWTH SURGE Post-Workout Powder takes your recovery, muscle building, and fat burning efforts to the next level than we back it up with a no-questions-asked guarantee: we will work to resolve your concern or arrange for a hassle-free refund.
- AMINO ACID INTERFUSION - 10g of micronized amino acids per serving
- MUSCLE RECOVERY - amino acids supports muscle recovery following exercise*
- MUSCLE ENDURANCE - push harder during training with the inclusion of BCAAs to the formula which can help take your performance to the next level*
- MIXES EASILY - no clumping
- 2 SIZES AVAILABLE - 30 servings or 70 servings
- IMPROVED MUSCULAR ATP REGENERATION - Scientifically studied 5g dose of creatine, which enhances your body's ability to regenerate ATP, so that your muscles keep firing on all cylinders.
- INCREASED MUSCLE SIZE & STRENGTH - Most powerful of all amino acids at amplifying protein synthesis and keeping your body in a musclebuilding state
- REDUCE MUSCLE SORENESS - Improve recovery through the reduction of muscle soreness after exercise.
- BOOST ENDURANCE PERFORMANCE WITH FIRST DOSE - Clinically shown to improve performance in endurance athletes.
- PROVIDES A PRECISE ELECTROLYTE COMPLEX - Precise doses of coconut water and watermelon juice as well as electrolytes to help replenish electrolytes that are lost during hard training
- BUILD MUSCLE FASTER: Because BCAAs stimulate protein synthesis, you'll add on muscle more quickly and efficiently, all while reducing muscle fatigue and increasing the speed that you pack on muscle. That means you'll see results faster!
- RECOVER FASTER: BCAAs have been shown to help your muscles recover faster, which means that they rebuild and show results more quickly, AND you won't feel as sore.
- MOST POTENT BCAA FORMULA: Not all BCAAs are created equally. Sheer Strength Labs offers a potent formulation of pure BCAAs.
- BURN FAT FASTER - GUARANTEED: Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) help your body burn fat faster while protecting your muscles. That means that your abs will show, your biceps will look bigger, and you'll look and feel more *ripped* than before. You'll look better with your shirt off, because you'll keep your muscle tone while burning more fat.
- ADD MUSCLE OR YOUR MONEY BACK: True to our pledge of having the best supplements available, you are protected by our 100% Money Back Guarantee. If, for whatever reason, you are not completely thrilled with your purchase of Sheer Strength, return the empty bottles for a no hassle refund.
- MUSCLE BUILDING RECOVERY: 5g of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) 2:1:1 ratio consisting of 3 key essential amino acids, Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine
- STRENGTH BUILDING: 3g of Creatine
- NO PROPRIETARY BLENDS: We want you to know exactly what you put in your body, so we tell you exactly what is in our supplements
- 30 SERVINGS: More of what you want