You just put in a hard hour at the gym. You’re sweaty and a little gross, but more than that, you’re proud of the effort you put in.
Now it’s time to call it a day and relax. After all, you’ve earned it! Well, not so fast.
If you’re going directly from the gym to the couch, you could be making some serious errors that negate the gains of your workout or even increase your chances of sustaining an injury.
Your post-workout routine is just as important as how you prepare before a workout.
Here are seven of the worst things to do post workout.
1. Failing To Cool Down
After an hour or more of hard training, the last thing you’ll likely want to do is spend any more time in the gym. But there’s a reason why experts tell you to cool down before going on with your day.
After your workout, your body is under a great deal of stress. Going from 100 to zero in a matter of minutes won’t do your body any favors, despite what you may think.
Take a few minutes to slow your run into a walk or allow yourself a quick breather after lifting to give your body time to adjust. Your body undergoes a ton of changes during a workout and needs time to readjust.
Failing to give yourself a proper cooldown could send your body into shock, or at the very least, result in some sore muscles due to lactic acid buildup.
2. Not Stretching
Admittedly, there’s a great deal of debate surrounding our next topic. Health experts are at odds over whether or not stretching post-workout, has any major effect on your performance at all.
While studies are ongoing, experts agree that if you’re serious about your athleticism or hope to go professional someday, stretching can help you retain muscle elasticity.
Indeed, if you’re looking to run faster or harder, opting into a post-workout stretch can reduce soreness and improve flexibility to make your next workout even better.
3. Grabbing A Sugary Drink
Though sports drinks are often marketed toward those who live an active lifestyle, it’s important to note that it’s just that — marketing.
Gatorade and Powerade are two of the worst offenders. You’ve probably seen the ads or heard the stories about the drink’s invention.
While it did start out as an easy way to replenish lost electrolytes in athletes, today’s sports drinks feature far more sugar than the original recipe, causing dehydrating and decreasing performance.
A 32 oz Gatorade contains 54.4 grams of sugar — more than the FDA’s recommended amount. For reference, that’s more than half the amount of sugar you’ll find in a 32 oz Mountain Dew.
There is some good to sports drinks, however. Though they’re chock full of sugars, most sports beverages contain nitrates, carbohydrates, and electrolytes that replace what we sweat out during a workout.
But, unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good in this case. You’re better off sticking with good old H20 or a post-workout supplement for rehydration and a quick pick-me-up.
4. Going From Gym To Couch
When you return home from your workout, the first thing you probably want to do is plop on the couch and take a nap.
But for the sake of yourself and those around you, it’s best to take a shower beforehand.
Staying dirty gym clothes not only makes you a social pariah, but it can also permeate your furniture and do some serious damage. The oils from your skin can easily soak into the fabrics of your couch or bed, leaving a putrid stench or even staining your furniture.
So please, for the good of yourself, your friends and family, and even your furniture, hit the shower before taking some much-deserved R&R.
5. Eating The Wrong Snacks
A good, healthy snack is a fantastic treat after a workout. What’s more, snacking post-workout is also a fantastic way to replenish lost calories as well as proteins and carbs.
But you are what you eat, so think carefully before you ruin your progress with that slice of pizza.
Instead of negating your progress with a post-workout snack, opt for a healthier, nutritious alternative soon after your workout. Post-workout supplements are a great way to give your body an extra boost, as are protein-based snacks.
Peanut butter, chocolate milk, oatmeal, and chicken or fish are some of the best choices.
Though they’re delicious, avoid sugary or processed snacks like chips or soda. They’re empty calories and won’t do your body any good.
6. Resting On The Equipment
Okay, so this mistake won’t ruin any of your progress, but it will get you a lot of angry side-eye at the gym. Most gyms have at least one person that does this, and if you’ve ever experienced it, you know how annoying it can be.
We’re not talking about taking a quick breather once you’ve done a few reps. That’s normal and even expected.
We’re talking about spending using a piece of equipment like your own personal chair and holding up others’ workouts.
Once you’re finished with a piece of equipment, clean it, set it back to default, and move on. We promise your fellow gym-goers will appreciate it.
7. Using Your Workout As An Excuse
So you’ve done everything right so far and now you get to be a couch potato for the rest of the day. You may even treat yourself to a post-workout pizza!
No harm, no foul, right?
A lot of people falsely believe that because they went to the gym that day, they have free reign to be inactive or eat poorly. Again, you’re only sabotaging your own efforts here.
Hitting the gym on a regular basis is a great way to move toward a healthier lifestyle. But that healthy lifestyle needs to include more than a trip to the gym a few times a week.
Avoid These Post-Workout Fails At All Cost
If you’re guilty of these post-workout mistakes, you’re not alone. Most people commit one or more of these gym-based sins.
We’re not here to chastise or embarrass anyone, but to help you get the most out of your workouts. So take what you’ve learned today and use it better your post-workout rituals.
And be sure to check out our reviews guide to help you choose the best gear and supplements. Whether you’re looking for better gains or want to lose a few pounds, we have the advice that can help.
- Lean Muscle Growth: Growth Surge is the ultimate muscle building supplement, containing three key ingredients to support lean muscle growth and fat loss throughout the day. Consume Growth Surge promptly post-workout to jumpstart muscle recovery and optimize the anabolic window.
- Post Workout Recovery: You train hard day in and day out, it’s crucial to recover and rebuild at maximum levels. Growth Surge helps improve post-workout muscle recovery, muscle building, and reduce muscle soreness. Conquer your next workout feeling refreshed and ready to go with endless endurance and increased strength.
- Premium Creatine, Scientifically-Dosed Formula: Each ingredient in Growth Surge is supported by science and added to provide users with the best workout recovery, lean muscle mass growth, and overall performance. Growth Surge utilizes only premium-grade ingredients in science-backed doses. Growth Surge contains the best form of creatine on the market — Creatine Monohydrate, as well as L Carnitine L Tartrate, Betaine, & Bioperine.
- Manufactured in the USA in a State-of-the-Art Certified Facility: All of Jacked Factory’s products are manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility that is cGMP certified. This guarantees that users are getting nothing but the purest, safest and highest quality supplements on the market. We take our customers’ health and results seriously. We will never sacrifice quality.
- QUALITY INGREDIENTS - The BCAAs (Branched chain amino acids), beta-alanine, creatine HCl and betaine found in Post JYM provide the optimum after-workout mix for increasing protein synthesis to maximize and extend muscle building.
- GREAT TASTE - No other post-workout supplements surpass the delicious of taste Pro JYM. Simply mix the powder with 16-32 ounces of water and enjoy. With only 45 calories, you'll get a refreshing, tasty drink to sip on after training.
- FASTER RECOVERY - Post JYM includes 8 scientific studied ingredients to maximize muscle recovery. Glutamine, taurine, & L-carnitine L-tartrate enhance the repair of broken muscle tissue, for fast body recovery so you can hit the gym hard the next day.
- COMPLETING THE SYSTEM - Post JYM is the third piece of the JYM SYSTEM, along with Pre JYM (pre-workout) and Pro JYM (protein blend). With these three products, you're completely covered for all your nutrition and supplement needs around workouts.
- VERSATILE USE - This postworkout powder is best for both men and for women. As with all JYM products, Post JYM contains no proprietary blends or abbreviated formulas.
- XTEND BCAA POWDER FOR MEN & WOMEN - The World's Number 1 BCAA Brand has been perfecting recovery since 2004 with 7 grams of BCAAs in the nature-designed and research-proven 2:1:1 ratio
- SUGAR-FREE BRANCHED CHAIN AMINO ACIDS - Zero sugar, zero calories, and zero carbs in every delicious serving. XTEND post workout drink mix helps support muscle recovery and growth
- IMPROVE RECOVERY & HYDRATION - Consume a minimum of 14 grams of BCAAs per day - before, during, and after your workout. Added electrolytes help you to stay hydrated and support recovery. Mix each level scoop in 10-14 fl. oz. of water and shake well
- TESTED & TRUSTED BY THIRD PARTIES - NSF Contents Tested & Certified and Informed-Choice Certified symbolizing strict standards in product development, testing, and quality - safety for athletes and free of banned substances prohibited in sports
- DELICIOUS FLAVORS UNLIKE ANYTHING ON THE MARKET - Mango Madness, Rainbow Sherbet, Blue Raspberry Ice, Glacial Grape, Freedom Ice, Watermelon Explosion, Italian Blood Orange, Lemon Lime Squeeze, Knockout Fruit Punch, and Many More
- CONCENTRATED POST-WORKOUT POWDER – a complete post-workout powder to help rebuild and recover from intense workouts
- NEXT-LEVEL TRAINING SUPPORT– helps promote strength and endurance when training
- 5G CREATINE MATRIX – consisting of creatine monohydrate, creatine HCl, and creatine anhydrous
- 3G GLUTAMINE & GLUTAMIC ACID
- ADDITIONAL 4G WHEY PROTEIN HYDROLYSATE & 10G ADDED BCAAs
- Build Lean Muscle & Strength, Boost Muscle Recovery: Enhance post workout muscle growth & recovery. Come back bigger and stronger to conquer your next workout.
- Clinically-Dosed Post-Workout: Each ingredient in Powerbuild is dosed in line with proven research studies. Only the best muscle building and performance boosting ingredients on the planet.
- No Artificial Food Dyes or Sweeteners, Keto Friendly: Powerbuild is 100% naturally sweetened & flavored, and can be used by men and women.
- Manufactured in the USA in a cGMP Certified Facility: Jacked Factory products are manufactured in a cGMP facility.
- IMPROVED MUSCULAR ATP REGENERATION - Scientifically studied 5g dose of creatine, which enhances your body’s ability to regenerate ATP, so that your muscles keep firing on all cylinders.
- INCREASED MUSCLE SIZE & STRENGTH - Most powerful of all amino acids at amplifying protein synthesis and keeping your body in a musclebuilding state
- REDUCE MUSCLE SORENESS - Improve recovery through the reduction of muscle soreness after exercise.
- BOOST ENDURANCE PERFORMANCE WITH FIRST DOSE - Clinically shown to improve performance in endurance athletes.
- PROVIDES A PRECISE ELECTROLYTE COMPLEX - Precise doses of coconut water and watermelon juice as well as electrolytes to help replenish electrolytes that are lost during hard training
- Build Lean Muscle with CinDura- Muscle Builder PM contains a new, botanically derived muscle builder called CinDura. It works by facilitating muscle energy production and promoting muscle growth while preventing muscle breakdown.
- Boost Testosterone & Decrease Estradiol- A key ingredient in Muscle Builder PM has been shown in a double-blind, placebo-controlled study to increase free testosterone and reduce estradiol in only 7 days!
- Improve Muscular Recovery- To aid in muscular recovery, Muscle Builder PM also includes a clinical dose of tart cherry, which has been shown in scientific research to improve recovery through the reduction of muscle soreness post-workout.
- ORGANIC RECOVERY DRINK: Our post workout supplement is certified USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified, NSF Certified for Sport, Informed-Choice for Sport Certified, Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
- REDUCES MUSCLE SORENESS: Our antioxidant supplement helps preserve lean muscle mass and reduce soreness post workout
- REDUCE OXIDATIVE STRESS: Our workout supplement also included is Organic Turmeric, Organic Gogi berries, Organic Blueberries, Organic Apples and Organic Rooibos to enhance its antioxidant power
- JUMP START MUSCLE REPAIR: This post workout powder includes organic cane sugar for direct energy and whole food magnesium and organic b vitamins to energize cellular level repair
- POST WORKOUT SUPPLEMENT: Use immediately after workout to support recovery
- MUSCLE BUILDING RECOVERY: Supplement your body with the true muscle building nutrients - 5g of Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA) 2:1:1 ratio consisting of 3 key essential amino acids, Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine
- REPLENISHMENT AND RECOVERY: 3g of Creatine to replenish your body’s ATP and 2g of L-Glutamine to combat muscle fatigue and soreness.
- NO PROPRIETARY BLENDS: We want you to know exactly what you put in your body, so we tell you exactly what is in our supplements
- 30 SERVINGS: More of what you want
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Kodiak Supplements always guarantees quality. If you are not completely satisfied with any product, we will refund your purchase.
- INCREASE STRENGTH BY 40 percentage This exact 4g dose of leucine that was shown in a clinical study to help subjects increase their 5 rep max strength by over 40 percentage
- BUILD MUSCLE and MUSCLE ENDURANCE Betaine is one of the hottest new musclebuilding ingredients, thanks to its ability to increase lean muscle, size, strength and power
- IMPROVE PERFORMANCE The 2g dose of taurine is clinically shown to improve performance in endurance athletes
- SUPPORT RECOVERY AND FIGHT MUSCLE BREAKDOWN Emerging research shows the powerful phytonutrients in tart cherries can help support recovery after training through the reduction of post workout pain, while also fighting catabolism (muscle breakdown)
- REPLENISH ELECTROLYTES For a truly complete formula, precise doses of electrolytes were added to help replenish electrolyte stores that are depleted during your workout