You just put in a hard hour at the gym. You’re sweaty and a little gross, but more than that, you’re proud of the effort you put in.
Now it’s time to call it a day and relax. After all, you’ve earned it! Well, not so fast.
If you’re going directly from the gym to the couch, you could be making some serious errors that negate the gains of your workout or even increase your chances of sustaining an injury.
Your post-workout routine is just as important as how you prepare before a workout.
Here are seven of the worst things to do post workout.
1. Failing To Cool Down
After an hour or more of hard training, the last thing you’ll likely want to do is spend any more time in the gym. But there’s a reason why experts tell you to cool down before going on with your day.
After your workout, your body is under a great deal of stress. Going from 100 to zero in a matter of minutes won’t do your body any favors, despite what you may think.
Take a few minutes to slow your run into a walk or allow yourself a quick breather after lifting to give your body time to adjust. Your body undergoes a ton of changes during a workout and needs time to readjust.
Failing to give yourself a proper cooldown could send your body into shock, or at the very least, result in some sore muscles due to lactic acid buildup.
2. Not Stretching
Admittedly, there’s a great deal of debate surrounding our next topic. Health experts are at odds over whether or not stretching post-workout, has any major effect on your performance at all.
While studies are ongoing, experts agree that if you’re serious about your athleticism or hope to go professional someday, stretching can help you retain muscle elasticity.
Indeed, if you’re looking to run faster or harder, opting into a post-workout stretch can reduce soreness and improve flexibility to make your next workout even better.
3. Grabbing A Sugary Drink
Though sports drinks are often marketed toward those who live an active lifestyle, it’s important to note that it’s just that — marketing.
Gatorade and Powerade are two of the worst offenders. You’ve probably seen the ads or heard the stories about the drink’s invention.
While it did start out as an easy way to replenish lost electrolytes in athletes, today’s sports drinks feature far more sugar than the original recipe, causing dehydrating and decreasing performance.
A 32 oz Gatorade contains 54.4 grams of sugar — more than the FDA’s recommended amount. For reference, that’s more than half the amount of sugar you’ll find in a 32 oz Mountain Dew.
There is some good to sports drinks, however. Though they’re chock full of sugars, most sports beverages contain nitrates, carbohydrates, and electrolytes that replace what we sweat out during a workout.
But, unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good in this case. You’re better off sticking with good old H20 or a post-workout supplement for rehydration and a quick pick-me-up.
4. Going From Gym To Couch
When you return home from your workout, the first thing you probably want to do is plop on the couch and take a nap.
But for the sake of yourself and those around you, it’s best to take a shower beforehand.
Staying dirty gym clothes not only makes you a social pariah, but it can also permeate your furniture and do some serious damage. The oils from your skin can easily soak into the fabrics of your couch or bed, leaving a putrid stench or even staining your furniture.
So please, for the good of yourself, your friends and family, and even your furniture, hit the shower before taking some much-deserved R&R.
5. Eating The Wrong Snacks
A good, healthy snack is a fantastic treat after a workout. What’s more, snacking post-workout is also a fantastic way to replenish lost calories as well as proteins and carbs.
But you are what you eat, so think carefully before you ruin your progress with that slice of pizza.
Instead of negating your progress with a post-workout snack, opt for a healthier, nutritious alternative soon after your workout. Post-workout supplements are a great way to give your body an extra boost, as are protein-based snacks.
Peanut butter, chocolate milk, oatmeal, and chicken or fish are some of the best choices.
Though they’re delicious, avoid sugary or processed snacks like chips or soda. They’re empty calories and won’t do your body any good.
6. Resting On The Equipment
Okay, so this mistake won’t ruin any of your progress, but it will get you a lot of angry side-eye at the gym. Most gyms have at least one person that does this, and if you’ve ever experienced it, you know how annoying it can be.
We’re not talking about taking a quick breather once you’ve done a few reps. That’s normal and even expected.
We’re talking about spending using a piece of equipment like your own personal chair and holding up others’ workouts.
Once you’re finished with a piece of equipment, clean it, set it back to default, and move on. We promise your fellow gym-goers will appreciate it.
7. Using Your Workout As An Excuse
So you’ve done everything right so far and now you get to be a couch potato for the rest of the day. You may even treat yourself to a post-workout pizza!
No harm, no foul, right?
A lot of people falsely believe that because they went to the gym that day, they have free reign to be inactive or eat poorly. Again, you’re only sabotaging your own efforts here.
Hitting the gym on a regular basis is a great way to move toward a healthier lifestyle. But that healthy lifestyle needs to include more than a trip to the gym a few times a week.
Avoid These Post-Workout Fails At All Cost
If you’re guilty of these post-workout mistakes, you’re not alone. Most people commit one or more of these gym-based sins.
We’re not here to chastise or embarrass anyone, but to help you get the most out of your workouts. So take what you’ve learned today and use it better your post-workout rituals.
And be sure to check out our reviews guide to help you choose the best gear and supplements. Whether you’re looking for better gains or want to lose a few pounds, we have the advice that can help.
- BUILD & PRESERVE LEAN MUSCLE: Keep feeding your muscles, even during limited activity. Vintage Build is the essential 3-in-1 natural muscle building and preserving supplement. Its unique formula delivers a proven trio of muscle building ingredients in the form of branched chain amino acids (BCAA), creatine, and L-glutamine in a flavored powder that mixes easily and tastes great with water or your favorite protein shake.
- TESTED AND TRUSTED: Third-party tested post workout supplement made exclusively with premium ingredients, including branched chain amino acids (BCAA), creatine monohydrate, and L-glutamine. Suitable for men and women looking for lean muscle building power, not bulk or a weight gainer. Vintage Build is a great supplement to your pre-workout and a healthy diet.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Old School Labs supplements never compromise on quality and always include clear and complete supplement facts without any "proprietary blends." We stand by our products 100%. If you are not completely satisfied with any OSL product, we will help you resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
- BUNDLE AND SAVE TODAY: Get 10% OFF any 2 products with code "OSLBUNDLE10" or 15% OFF any 4 products with code "OSLBUNDLE15".
- OSL HERITAGE: Old School Labs, California; Supplements That Make Sense, 40 Years in the Making. Only one thing has ever mattered to OSL: our customers. Before becoming a best-selling national brand with thousands of loyal customers and followers, this was our priority. That will never change. Our team of experts are available by email or social media to answer questions regarding the best way to use a product. Our products are sold on Amazon.com, proudly formulated in California, made in U.S.A.
- LEAN MUSCLE GROWTH. Growth Surge is the ultimate muscle building supplement, containing three key ingredients to support lean muscle growth and fat loss throughout the day. Consume GROWTH SURGE promptly post-workout to jumpstart muscle recovery and optimize the anabolic window.
- POST WORKOUT RECOVERY. You train hard day in and day out, it’s crucial to recover and rebuild at maximum levels. GROWTH SURGE helps improve post-workout muscle recovery, muscle building, and reduce muscle soreness. Conquer your next workout feeling refreshed and ready to go with endless endurance and increased strength.
- PREMIUM CREATINE, SCIENTIFICALLY-DOSED FORMULA. Each ingredient in GROWTH SURGE is supported by science and added to provide users with the best workout recovery, lean muscle mass growth, and overall performance. GROWTH SURGE utilizes only premium-grade ingredients in science-backed doses. GROWTH SURGE contains the best form of creatine on the market — Creatine Monohydrate, as well as L Carnitine L Tartrate, Betaine, & Bioperine.
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA IN A STATE-OF-THE-ART CGMP CERTIFIED FACILITY. All of Jacked Factory’s products are manufactured in a state-of-the-art facility that is cGMP certified. This guarantees that users are getting nothing but the purest, safest and highest quality supplements on the market. We take our customers’ health and results seriously. We will never sacrifice quality.
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. We stand behind GROWTH SURGE Post Workout Drink for Men & Women, and guarantee your satisfaction. If for any reason you don’t find that GROWTH SURGE Post-Workout Powder takes your recovery, muscle building, and fat burning efforts to the next level than we back it up with a no-questions-asked guarantee: we will work to resolve your concern or arrange for a hassle-free refund.
- INCREASE STRENGTH BY 40 percentage This exact 4g dose of leucine that was shown in a clinical study to help subjects increase their 5 rep max strength by over 40 percentage
- BUILD MUSCLE and MUSCLE ENDURANCE Betaine is one of the hottest new musclebuilding ingredients, thanks to its ability to increase lean muscle, size, strength and power
- IMPROVE PERFORMANCE The 2g dose of taurine is clinically shown to improve performance in endurance athletes
- SUPPORT RECOVERY AND FIGHT MUSCLE BREAKDOWN Emerging research shows the powerful phytonutrients in tart cherries can help support recovery after training through the reduction of post workout pain, while also fighting catabolism (muscle breakdown)
- REPLENISH ELECTROLYTES For a truly complete formula, precise doses of electrolytes were added to help replenish electrolyte stores that are depleted during your workout
- The World's #1 BCAA Brand with 7G of BCAAs Per Serving
- 0 Stimulants, Sugar, Calories, or Carbs
- 2.5g Added Glutamine + Electrolytes
- NSF & Informed Choice Certified
- 3.5g of Leucine for Muscle Protein Synthesis
- QUALITY INGREDIENTS - The BCAAs (Branched chain amino acids), beta-alanine, creatine HCl and betaine found in Post JYM provide the optimum after-workout mix for increasing protein synthesis to maximize and extend muscle building.
- GREAT TASTE - No other post-workout supplements surpass the delicious of taste Pro JYM. Simply mix the powder with 16-32 ounces of water and enjoy. With only 45 calories, you'll get a refreshing, tasty drink to sip on after training.
- FASTER RECOVERY - Post JYM includes 8 scientific studied ingredients to maximize muscle recovery. Glutamine, taurine, & L-carnitine L-tartrate enhance the repair of broken muscle tissue, for fast body recovery so you can hit the gym hard the next day.
- COMPLETING THE SYSTEM - Post JYM is the third piece of the JYM SYSTEM, along with Pre JYM (pre-workout) and Pro JYM (protein blend). With these three products, you're completely covered for all your nutrition and supplement needs around workouts.
- VERSATILE USE - This postworkout powder is best for both men and for women. As with all JYM products, Post JYM contains no proprietary blends or abbreviated formulas.
- 100% NATURAL POST WORKOUT WITH CREATINE MONOHYDRATE. Recharge is a naturally sweetened and flavored muscle builder that helps you get bigger and stronger faster.
- BOOSTS MUSCLE & STRENGTH GAIN. With this post workout recovery drink, you're going to gain more muscle and strength after very workout thanks to clinically effective doses of creatine powder and L carnitine L tartrate.
- ENHANCES MUSCLE RECOVERY & REDUCES SORENESS. Recharge decreases post workout muscle damage and soreness and improves muscle repair by boosting your body's ability to produce cellular energy.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK. If you're not 100% satisfied with this sports drink, just notify us and we’ll give you a prompt and courteous refund on the spot. No complicated forms and no return necessary.
- THE MAN BEHIND THE BRAND. Tired of the exaggeration and lies of the supplement industry? So was Mike Mathews, international bestselling fitness author with over a million books sold, and that's why he created Legion Athletics.
- ✓ Clinically Studied Post Workout Supplement
- ✓ Triggers a 360% Increase in Muscle Protein Synthesis
- ✓ WaxiMAX-C3G Spikes Insulin and Replenishes Glycogen
- ✓ 5g of Cell-Volumizing Multi-Phase Creatine
- ✓ Clinically Tested 6g Essential Amino Acid Blend
- CONCENTRATED POST-WORKOUT POWDER – a complete post-workout powder to help rebuild and recover from intense workouts
- NEXT-LEVEL TRAINING SUPPORT– helps promote strength and endurance when training
- 5G CREATINE MATRIX – consisting of creatine monohydrate, creatine HCl, and creatine anhydrous
- 3G GLUTAMINE & GLUTAMIC ACID
- ADDITIONAL 4G WHEY PROTEIN HYDROLYSATE & 10G ADDED BCAAs
- HELPS BURN FAT FOR FUEL: The carnitine and grains of paradise in Best BCAA Shredded help your body burn stored fat for energy to support weight loss while the branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) support muscle building.*
- DELICIOUS CHERRY LIME FLAVOR: This caffeine-free thermogenic recovery formula is designed to mix easily with ice cold water. The delicious Cherry Lime is refreshing, while supplying your body with added hydration.*
- IMPROVED PERFORMANCE: Best BCAA Shredded is formulated with citrulline to improve blood flow and oxygen delivery, keeping your muscles full while enhancing performance.*
- LEAN MUSCLE BUILDING: BPI Sports Best BCAA Shredded contains leucine, isoleucine, and valine, which work synergistically to reduce muscle breakdown and support lean muscle growth.*
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: BPI Sports takes pride in making superior workout formulas that taste amazing. Our workout supplements are all made in the USA and are backed by a 100% money back guarantee.*
- The World's #1 BCAA Brand with 7G of BCAAs Per Serving
- Added Capsimax, CLA, L-Carnitine for Fat Burning
- 0 Stimulants + 0 Sugar
- 2.5G of Added Glutamine Per Serving
- Added Electrolytes